Friday, July 31, 2020

Be Still and Know

The girls and I got to go away again this year for a girls get-away to Grand Haven/Springlake.  This time we brought a friend with us to celebrate Alisa's graduation!  We stayed in the same AirBnB as last year.  It was so cozy, clean, and cool.  We so enjoy the area and atmosphere even with things not being like we planned.  We ate yummy food, drank coffee, shopped, slept, read, laughed, talked, and enjoyed the beach!  We couldn't wait to go...we've been counting down the days!  Waiting with anticipation!
The Grand Haven State Park beach was closed Sunday afternoon till further notice due to the loss of a 14 year old boy on Sunday.  The warnings had gone out on Friday for the beaches.  Red flags all weekend.  The waves were furious and crashing.  People from out of town do not understand the power of Lake Michigan...they don't respect it like they should even with warnings.  It has been an age-old problem at beaches all over our country.  As we readied for our trip Sunday night, I read the warnings and looked forward to being able to see the crashing waves!  Then I read the update about how a boy went missing and beach goers formed a human chain and were walking the water...being tossed around by the waves...they tried...but there was no way they were even close to helping.  I can't imagine the helpless feeling...trying to help while waiting for the experts...only to have the experts say it is too dangerous to bring out the boat.  The helicopter was out, divers were in the water.  The force of the waves too strong!  Only God could calm the waves and help the searchers!
Waiting...in that situation is excruciating and painful...but waiting was the only option.
My brother was part of the search and recovery team.  They spent part of Sunday and Monday searching as best they could.  My heart hurt for the family and the searchers and we prayed for them.  We went to another beach and enjoyed the sand and the sun.  It was a beautiful time together.  We were in awe of the power of the waves on Monday and the quiet of them on Tuesday!  Tuesday the lake was calm and the team found the boy in the afternoon.  It was hard to be upset that our plans were interrupted by the loss of a child.  People cared for that family and helped them generously.  We adjusted our plans and still got to do what we wanted...it just looked a little different...but then again...everything looks different due to the Covid craze!  Even the ordinary things are not as easy...and then the extraordinary happens...and we see people still helping in any way they can...because if the shoe was on the other foot...we would hope for the same help.  Wednesday brought the crashing waves again...and I loved their song.  There is something peaceful and refreshing to my heart as I listen to the waves crash on the shore.  I never grow tired of the sound.
As the family's grief washes over them in waves, I prayed for peace to calm the hearts and minds of all involved.  I don't know if they know Christ.  Waiting can be dangerous or tricky...if you wait too long...you may miss a chance or opportunity.
As I sat and watched the waves and people at the beach on Wednesday, I wondered how many of them knew what had happened.  I wondered if any of them looked at the yellow flag that offers a warning to all beach goers.  I hoped that people would heed the warnings given by the Coast Guard...the ones who watch and patrol...the same ones who have to rescue and recover.  It is in the times of peace and quiet that we all have to come to terms with our thoughts and attitudes about life.  Life is fragile.  There are dangers.  I think that is why many people do not give themselves time to be still...quiet...because they don't want to think and face the reality that we will not live forever here on earth.  There is life after...where will you spend it?
When I hear and see the waves crash...it brings a quiet peace to my heart.  I crave time to just sit and rest at the beach!  I think of the vast power of God.  I think of God's unending patience with me.  I think of the love of God...and how it reaches to all mankind.  I think of God's sovereign control in our lives...He knows the number of the grains of sand...the vastness of all the lakes and oceans...and yet He cares for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment