Monday, June 1, 2020

June 1, 2020

I am reading the first chapter of Proverbs...because it is the beginning of the new month.  I am always amazed that I see new things or old things in a different light each month.  I did some more in-depth reading this morning on the sun-drenched deck...while listening to good music and the birds and drinking my yummy coffee.  Time with the Lord...is special in the summer...with no hurried schedule!

King Solomon was known by his peaceable spirit and reign.  His father, David, was known for having a life of troubles.  I wonder if Solomon learned from his father's mistakes?  We know he was affected by his father's life.  I wonder if our children will learn from my mistakes or in spite of them.
The book of Proverbs is an instruction book.  The things I learn on a daily basis, I can then practice in times of trouble.  I am inexperienced and in need of discretion and knowledge.  Where do I go to get the help and guidance that I need in life?
John 7:17 Do I know whether the teaching is from God or am I speaking on my own?  There are principles that I can apply to any situation of life in which I have questions.  There are people that I can go to that "have been there and done that".
I hope I don't go to social media!  We hope we can go to our church leaders and teachers.  Often, I recognize that I cannot go to friends.  Definitely I cannot go to news sources!  I cannot always trust medical professionals, because they constantly change.  I have to put time in to study and read.
So many things change through the years and depending on who is trying to give information...I think back to when our first baby, Ashlynn, was born.  I was told in the hospital that she had to sleep on her back with no blankets, bumper pad, and no loose materials.  When Alisa and Teddy came along, they would not sleep great or long on their back.  They would startle and wake up.  My mother shared that when I was a baby, she was told to put the baby to sleep on their tummy.  "If you are worried, removed the loose materials from around them and just try it."  I did!  I had a relationship with my mother and I trusted her...she raised three children and we were adults.  Do you know that both my babies slept and slept and slept...and were happy.  I was greatly relieved and rested.
I believe satan purposely keeps our world stirred up with differing views and opinions to keep mothers (families) off kilter.  If satan can cause strife and division in our homes between spouses, he has attacked the first human relationship that he can use to tear people apart.
I have witnessed these situations to many times to think otherwise!  Just because someone quotes or states some facts or new information, does not mean we should go running after it whole-heartedly.  We should apply ourselves to seeking if those things are so, just as we are told in Scripture "to be like the Bereans who searched to see if those things are so." Acts 17:10-11  Why would we only apply that to spiritual matters?  In Matthew Henry's commentary, he stated our need to use the wisdom and discretion that we have learned "to accommodate what we are taught (told) to ourselves and to our use that we may discern things that differ."
Am I able to "approve" things that are excellent?  There are many things out there for me to take in daily.
What guides my daily practice of justice, judgment, and equity?
Who am I taking guidance from on a daily basis?  Our world is filled with simple people(ignorant), youthful people (still needing to learn), foolish people (rejecting wisdom), and wise people (increasing in learning).

No comments:

Post a Comment